Atchison Daily Globe


June 15, 1937


Karachi, India June 15 -- Amelia Earhart arrived here tonight, completing a long and interrupted flight from Massawa, Eritrea, on her "just for fun" aerial flight around the world.

She had been reported for more than 29 hours on a leg of her flight that lay over Arabian desert and mountains and for about 1,000 miles across the Arabian sea.

Miss Earhart sad she flew from Assab, Eritrea, on the African coast of the Red sea just north of the Gulf of Aden, to Karachi, on the Inrwan coast of the Arabian sea, in one hop. The airline distance is approximately 1,400 miles.

Miss Earhart said she would stay here probably a day but that her tentative plans to take off Thursday depended on the weather.

Her itinerary, on the globe-girdling flight as close as practicle to the equator, calls for stops at Darwin, Australia, then across the Pacific to Oakland, Calif., by way of the Pacific Island route of Pan-American airways.

June 17, 1937


Calcutta, India, June 17 -- Amelia Earhart landed her round-the-world plane at DumDum airdrome here today after a 1,350 mile hope across Indian from Karachi.

Miss Earhart took off from Karachi at 7:25 a.m. Karachi time (7:55 p.m. C.S.T. Wednesday).

The flier, who is making a leisurely flight around the world "just for fun," said she intended to take off shortly after dawn Friday for Bangkok, capital of Siam. If she adheres to her planned itinerary, she will go from Bangkok, to Darwin, Australia, by way of Singapore, then Batavia, Dutch East Indies, and Surabaya, Java, before starting across the Pacific.

June 18, 1937


Akyab, Burma, June 18 -- Amelia Earhart started another leg of her round-the-world flight today after arriving from Calcutta, but bad weather forced her to return to Akyab.

She first landed her twin-motored monoplane at 12:34 p.m. (12:04 a.m. C.S.T.) after a 400-mile flight across the Bay of Bengal, and took off immediately in an effort to reach Bangkok, Siam. She was back in Akyab within two hours.

The flyer said she expects to start again for Bangkok early Saturday if the weather is favorable.

Miss Earhart left Dumdum airport just outside Calcutta at 7:05 a.m. Calcutta time (7:12 a.m. Thursday C.S.T.) despite reports of treacherous weather over the bay.

The airdrome had been drenched by monsoon rains and for a moment it seemed as though her plane would overturn as she left the waterlogged field.

June 19, 1937


Rangoon, Burma, June 19 -- Amelia Earhart reached Rangoon today after a 300-mile flight from Akyab on her leisurely globe-circling journey.

She landed her monoplane at 6:35 a.m. Greenwich time (12:35 a.m. C.S.T.) after a trip of two hours 53 minutes

Her next destination was Bangkok, Siam, 400 miles southeast of Rangoon.

June 21, 1937


Bandoeng, Dutch East Indies -- Amelia Earhart decided today to take a three day rest and have her plane overhauled before taking off on the next leg of her flight around the world.

She landed at Bandoeng at 10:17 a.m. today (10:37 p.m. E.S.T.) after a flight from Singapore over the Java sea and a part of mountainous Java.

After her plane is checked she plans to take off for Darwin, Australia.

June 24, 1937


Batavia, Java, June 24 -- Amelia Earhart flew today from nearby Bandoeng to Sourabaya, Java enroute to Kupang, Timor Island, on her flight around the world. She planned to remain at Sourabaya, about 250 miles from Bandoeng, until tomorrow.

The flight ended a three-day rest.

June 30, 1937


Aboard U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Itasca at Howland Island, June 30 -- Amelia Earhart reported today she planned to start tomorrow on the most hazardous flight on her leisurely journey around the world.

The hop will carry her over 2,570 miles of ocean, from Lae, New Guinea, to Howland Island.

Because she crosses the international dateline she will complete the 18 or 20 hour flight a few hours before she starts it.

She radioed she will take off at 1:30 p.m. Thursday, Lae time, and expected to reach her goal between 10 a.m. and noon Thursday, Howland time. Translated into Central Standard Time, she will begin at 9:30 p.m. today and will land between 3:30 and 5:30 p.m. Thursday.


July 1, 1937


Oakland, Calif., July 1 -- George Palmer Putnam announced that his flying wife, Amelia Earhart, would take off at 3:30 p.m. (Central Standard Time) today on the hazardous 2,570 mile flight from Lae, New Guinea, to Howland Island in her flight around the world.

Putnam said Miss Earhart possibly would complete the hop in 19 hours.

July 2, 1937


Oakland, Calif., July 2 -- George Palmer Putnam reported today the coast guard cutter Itasca at Howland Island apparently had established communication with his flying wife, Amelia Earhart, en route from Lae, New Guinea, to Howland Island, a hop of 2,550 miles.

Shortly before 1 p.m. (C.S.T.) Putnam said Pacific shore stations reported inability to make radio contact with the Itasca. He took this to mean the cutter's wireless was busy "working Miss Earhart's world-girdling plane."

Putnam announced receipt of a message from the Itasca, at Howland Island, at 5:59 a.m. Saturday (11:29 a.m. Friday C.S.T.) indicating weather conditions there were almost idea for a landing.

The slim American hopped off from Lae at 6 p.m. C.S.T. yesterday for the distant American-owned outpost. She said she hoped to reach there in 18 hours.

Her ultimate destination with her navigator, Capt. Fred Noonan, is Oakland. When she arrives she will have circled the globe "just for fun."